No, I am not going out of the path, I assure you that this blog is still about minimalism; however:
Here I list gear you may find useful to add on your bicycle if you want to cycle the world, or just have a couple of days on the saddle, even though accessories are not the most important thing in life.
I list what can be useful to take with you for a long, maybe never-ending, road bicycle trip.
It’s a shortlist for a minimalistic bicycle touring set up, starting with the most important items and ending with the gear you don’t essentially need.
One of the most important thing is to have tires—and inner tubes—of great quality. Avoid any unknown brand, stick to top brands (like Germans, Italian, American, or Japanese).
The best tube valve is the one like the car´s tire (´schrader´), so you can pump it at car´s fuel stations too.
Security – This is the most important gear you need
- Reflectors – The more the better!
- Reflective jacket – To wear all the time you are on the road
- Lights – Solar powered
2x on the front with steady light (even better if they are Powerbanks eg. Titxch), to fasten on each side of the basket eventually
2x on the back, installed on the mudguard
Reelight – Electromagnetic: one on front & one in the back
- Bike locks, two – Best with code
- Pepper Spray – You will be probably approached by dogs, so you really need it
- Strong stick for dogs – Anything light and practical to take with you
It seems strange, but the lights are the most important accessory.
You need in total of six lights fastened on the bike!
Tools – For repair
- Multi-tool – A cheap one will do
- Universal Wrench – Lightweight and strong
- Pump – Even a small one is good
- Repair Set – With the tools to take out the inner tube
- Self-Adhesive patches – Much more convenient than the traditional ones
- Extra schrader inner tube – Get one of good quality (Kenda, Continental, Schwalbe, Pirelli)
- Zip Tie Wraps – Really useful for anything
- Carabiners – Just in case
- Fishing nylon wire
Bags – Not too many
- Two rear side bags – The best ones you can order online internationally from Holland, but you need to send the shop a private email. The bigger the better.
- Basket – A basic cheap basket, extremely practical and better than a bag or anything else you can put on the handlebar
Accessories, not vital but useful
- Mudgards, Really important, no matter which weather you find
- Phone holder – High, so you can record videos of the street
- Solar Power banks – If you have two power banks and one sets of high quality solar panels, you don´t need to stop to charge your devices
- Compass-bell – Two in one, it helps a lot on the way
- Extra bel – Make vehicles hear you is vital!
- Two bottle´s holders – You need at least four liters of water with you, all the time! You can install it with the zip ties.
- Camel bag (so you can drink often without removing hands from the handlebar
- Smartphone accessories – Small things that may be useful
Smartphone apps for bike touring, maps
- Offline maps – Koomot + Guru + mapy.cz + Sygic + HereWeGo + Google Maps Best to have them all with offline maps.
- Ulysse speedometer – to visualize your speed and tracked your lapses
- AutomateIt – you can trigger the map automatically if you start cycling
- AZ screen recorder – record your screen for afterward nice memories.
- Audiobooks – unless you like to meditate on the bicycle
Optional, for extra comfort
- Butterfly handlebar – It takes some time to install it but it’s quite easy to do
- Extra accessories – Anything that makes your ride more comfortable and personalized
Which Bicycle for world touring?
In this post I don’t disclose about which bicycle to use simply because it’s not important at all, any bicycle can be good to travel the world, it all depends on your budget and needs.
I can say that the best bicycle is the one you find comfortable to cycle with, possibly a strong bicycle that matches the geography and urbanistic you have to cycle in.
As you may have noticed, most of the gear I have mentioned is inexpensive and can be easily bought.
I hope you have found the information on this post useful, feel free to share, comment and write.
I would love to know if you think maybe there are accessories that I missed!